Enhance Your Home Through Interior Design
Working with a talented interior designer can pay unexpected dividends, as these professionals are trained to help you not just beautify your home, but make it function better for you. This distinction is highlighted when you learn the difference between interior designers and interior decorators:
“Interior design is the art and science of understanding people’s behavior to create functional spaces within a building. Decoration is the furnishing or adorning of a space with fashionable or beautiful things. In short, interior designers make decorate, but decorators do not design.” — Council for Interior Design Qualification
That being said, here are 10 secrets from top interior designers on how to improve your home, compiled by the design firm Boca Do Lobo:
- The first rule about decorating is that you can break almost all the other rules. Something almost all designers will tell you is that rules are meant to be broken. It’s more important that your home’s décor reflects your living style and personality than adheres to any conventional rule.
- Ceilings must always be considered. They are the most neglected space in a room. When decorating, people tend to immediately think of the walls, followed by the furniture and then the floor, but they rarely think of what’s overhead.
- Add a pop of red. You don’t have to be a fan of red to appreciate it in small doses. Just a hint of this peppery hue is enough to grab attention and make a room interesting.
- Know that less is more. Be careful not to over-accessorize every corner of a space, especially when its functional needs are simple.
- Add life to a room with real greenery. Add some plants and flowers to your decoration. Real trees also help to naturally improve indoor air quality.
- Bring your own experience into your rooms. What makes your home uniquely yours are the things in it. Showcase your personal possessions to reveal your personality, adventures and achievements.
- Have fun decorating. Don’t be afraid to try something new. You can always change it. Furniture can be rearranged and walls can be repainted — or you might actually fall in love with your new look.
- Make your home livable. It doesn’t matter what your own personal style is. The most important thing is to make your home livable. A well-designed home is both comfortable and functional.
- Lighting is crucial. Sit in all the rooms of your home throughout the day to notice where lighting needs to be supplemented. The right kind of lighting in the right space will add a glow and warmth to your surroundings.
- Accessories are the soul of a room; they’re a great way to tie the décor together and give your space a finished look. Accessorizing is another way to add a personal touch to your space, as accessories often tell a story of where you’ve been and where your interests lie.
Feeling inspired? If you’re ready to make some changes to your home with the help of an interior designer, contact us at Authentic Designs & Remodeling to get the process started.